 Off-Topic / Debate / 17273
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:55:50 GMT

For example: the emotion identified by many as "love" is probably a creation
of natural selection and has a lot to do with getting human beings to mate
for the propagation of the species.  Anthropologists have discovered that
the human species seems to favor "love" relationships that last in the main
from 4-6 years, usually just enough time to have a few kids and bring them
into the stages of later childhood. When children are at thier youngest,
nature needs the parents to stay together for the benefit of the children --
for protection, for the gathering of food, to be their transportation
system, etc. Once children are out of these earlier stages of childhood and
can move well on their own and generally fend for themselves, nature cares
less whether parents stay together or not.  As a consequence of children's
greater autonomy, loving relationships that create children tend to last
between 4-6 years in our species and this has been the case it is thought
for several thousand years -- in the exact same way that your physiology
matches that of human being best described as a "hunter/gatherer."  Marriage
as you may know it and think of it is a relatively new thing -- something
that came into fashion more strongly during the industrial revolution.
Elsewhere, people hookup and break up on the 4-6 year cycle described above.

Really?  Do you have a convenient cite for this?  I did some google
searching, and only found 2nd or 3rd hand references of dubious quality.  I
have heard the 4-6 year thing before, but never from a particularly
qualified source.  It's also never been cited to me as a state that held up
until the last century or so; it's always been suggested as applicable to
pre-agrarian societies.  Certainly the historical record counters your
implication that marriages were not lifetime partnerings in pre-industrial
western society.

If you don't have a convenient cite, don't put much effort into it on my
behalf; it's just intellectual curiosity.

James