 Off-Topic / Debate / 17189
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:19:22 GMT

Credible evidence?  Prove to the fish that water exists.

Well, see, fish aren't exactly rocket scientists.  While I'm pretty sure they
feel pain, I don't think they have thoughts.  So I don't think such a proof is
possible.

  I agree.  I would further ask John how he would demonstrate to someone
permanently locked indoors that wind exists.

It can't see it, it can't feel it, it can't taste it,

Uh...sure it can.  I can see, feel, and taste water (and air, for that matter)
so why couldn't the fish?  Actually, I'm rusty on my ichthyology, can they
taste or just smell?

  I had salmon last night--it tasted great and smelled great.  Does that
help?  8^)

Again, I can read the last chapter in a book and know whats going to happen.
The characters in the book don't have a clue.  Does that deny their free
will to do as they please in the book?

Do you hear yourself?  I mean really!  You just asserted that characters in
books have free will.  That was some kind of a slip up right?

  For those playing along at home, Dave K has just rolled out some rehashed
C. S. Lewis.  Lewis, while an entertaining read, should hardly be taken as
logically infallible; witness the above "author-in-the-book" metaphor and
the oft-touted "liar/lunatic/lord" false trichotomy.

I have not seen it, am I
taking it on faith that it's there?  Or has my judgement, my intellect, my
rationality weighed all possible ideas and scenarios and said, 'Madagascar
exists whether I've seen it or not.'

Just as God exists whether I have seen Him or not.

But you _could_ see Madagascar.

  And this, if I'm not mistaken, is Lee Stroebel's nonsense.  Am I missing
the cite?  Chris' debunking was 100% correct, so I'll simply "me, too" that
part of his post.

The laws of God are 'written
on our hearts'.  It might be all touchy feely but it's there.  You know when
you're doing something wrong--you don't need the police to tell you
that--you feel it.  And none of that has anything to do with science.

  This is witnessing and irrelevant to discussions of science.

     Dave!