 Off-Topic / Debate / 17188
17187  |  17189
Subject:
christian morals are inferior to tolerant morals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:49:49 GMT

Nailing your neighbours wife is not morally right, even if you, your
neighbours wife and your neighbours wife's husband think it's okay.

Why not? You'll have to present an argument other than "from authority" to
convince me differently.

Assuming we've named all the stakeholders, and they're all consenting adults
who actually consented (posit this for the sake of the argument, that there
are no other stakeholders), it is *indeed* morally right. At least by my morals.

Further, in an earlier post you said:

Where's the problem in experienceing joy, love,
happiness, sensualness, whatever.  Where in my Bible does it say to deny
these things?

Well, here's an example of denial. Nailing my neighbours wife will bring me
happiness, if everyone's onboard with the idea. Your bible denies it to me.

Therefore this question is indeed germane to the argument as you framed it.

Don't try to slip out of it because you don't have a satisfactory answer by
accusing Chris of twisting things around. He's taken your premise and shown
contradiction.

Now, I am not a moral relativist like Dave E. who will say my morals and
yours are equivalently good, within our separate societal context.

I say just the opposite. My morals are in conflict with yours, and we live
in the same society, so they are pitted against one another. Further, my
morals are superior to yours as they will generate more happiness and less
warfare. They are more tolerant, more life affirming, more rights respecting
and generally more efficient in the market sense.

THIS is what I say when I cannot brook christian interference in my life.

*You* impose *your* morals on me via law. And while some of them may be OK
(no stealing, no killing, those are rights violations which cannot be
countenance) some (no worshiping false idols, sunday is the lord's day so
stores are closed, be monogamous, honor your father and mother) just plain
cramp my style, and it appears to be just because you christians in general
are intolerant of others. Even when their behaviours cause no harm.