 Off-Topic / Debate / 17190
Re: christian morals are inferior to tolerant morals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:35:17 GMT

Now, I am not a moral relativist like Dave E. who will say my morals and
yours are equivalently good, within our separate societal context.

"Larry's morals and David's are equivalently good within your separate
personal contexts." :)

I say just the opposite. My morals are in conflict with yours, and we live
in the same society, so they are pitted against one another. Further, my
morals are superior to yours as they will generate more happiness and less
warfare. They are more tolerant, more life affirming, more rights respecting
and generally more efficient in the market sense.

Interesting note, though. In this particular case, you *haven't* judged
David's theoretical person who *wouldn't*, whereas David has actually stated
that it would be immoral for your (Larry's) theoretical person who *would*.
And, as such, because David's morality *makes* that moral judgement, and
Larry's *doesn't* (does it?), I'd argue that Larry's morality(tm) is better.

Though maybe Larry's morality would specifically say that someone who
*doesn't* nail his neighbor's wife (provided consent) is being *immoral*?
And in the event that Larry's morality(tm) would say that, then, yes,
Larry's right: I'd say the two moralities were equal. (Equally wrong :)

DaveE