 Off-Topic / Debate / 17133
Re: Evolution vs Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:21:51 GMT

Well, I'll still pop in on this one. Point still is (I think) that a
scientific theory need not make verifiable predictions in order to be
scientific.

  In an arena of two competing theories, the one that is able to make
testable predictions is stronger than and therefore preferable to the one
that is not so able. If the theory does not make testable predictions, you
can't really perform experiments to test the theory.  Almost invariably,
theories that cannot make predictions are based on post hoc reasoning and
simply try to connect the dots of evidence already observed.

Let's see if I can conjure up an example:
Suppose we find an group of asteroids somewhere. We analyze the chemical
makeup of the asteroids, we analyze their trajectories, and discover that
there once was a planet, which matches all their trajectories. We date the
collision that created it, and find out when it happened. A few years
earlier (or, have we already done this?) we get a chemical composite for
Haley's Comet. Flash back to the future. We notice that Haley's Comet has
the same chemical compounds (matches 99.99%) as the ateroid grouping, and
that the trajectory of the comet also matches. Conclusion? Haley's Comet
came from the ateroid grouping. Now, offhand, I can't think of any
predictions we could further make from this theory, but I'd still call it
scientific...

  Your *prediction* is this: "If Halley's Comet came from the asteroid
grouping, it should have chemical composition X." Then you test it and find
out if the comet has composition X.  If it does, then you have another piece
of evidence to support your hypothesis that the comet came from the asteroid
group.  If it does not, then either your hypothesis is incorrect and needs
to be adjusted, or the comet did *not* come from the asteroid belt.

     Dave!