 Off-Topic / Debate / 17131
Re: Evolution vs Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:56:33 GMT

Okay, but it's still not scientific.  My claim that I just came back from
the men's room is falsifiable, but that's not really scientific, either.

I know this ever-so-rarely ever happens, but I think I'm going to switch
gears and join your team on this one, based on something that struck me
after writing this post: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=17095

Essentially that the Biblical Creation story *does* have evidence to support
its validity, *BUT* it *DOESN'T* have evidence to support that it was a
Creator at the helm. Which is basically what you had been trying to bash me
over the head with (I think)-- I was just missing it. Although I'll still
argue that it's logical to make such a conclusion.

Now, I dunno about microwave radiation, but wasn't the red shift evidence
*of* and not a prediction *of* the Big Bang? Regardless, even if there were
no useful information that came out of knowing that the Big Bang happened,
would it no longer be a scientific discovery?

Well, here are a few others:
[snip]

Well, I'll still pop in on this one. Point still is (I think) that a
scientific theory need not make verifiable predictions in order to be
scientific.

Let's see if I can conjure up an example:
Suppose we find an group of asteroids somewhere. We analyze the chemical
makeup of the asteroids, we analyze their trajectories, and discover that
there once was a planet, which matches all their trajectories. We date the
collision that created it, and find out when it happened. A few years
earlier (or, have we already done this?) we get a chemical composite for
Haley's Comet. Flash back to the future. We notice that Haley's Comet has
the same chemical compounds (matches 99.99%) as the ateroid grouping, and
that the trajectory of the comet also matches. Conclusion? Haley's Comet
came from the ateroid grouping. Now, offhand, I can't think of any
predictions we could further make from this theory, but I'd still call it
scientific...

DaveE