 Off-Topic / Debate / 17141
Re: Evolution vs Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:46:24 GMT

Well, I'll still pop in on this one. Point still is (I think) that a
scientific theory need not make verifiable predictions in order to be
scientific.

In an arena of two competing theories, the one that is able to make
testable predictions is stronger than and therefore preferable to the one
that is not so able. If the theory does not make testable predictions, you
can't really perform experiments to test the theory.  Almost invariably,
theories that cannot make predictions are based on post hoc reasoning and
simply try to connect the dots of evidence already observed.

Question is, is it still "scientific"? I'd still want to say yes.

Your *prediction* is this: "If Halley's Comet came from the asteroid
grouping, it should have chemical composition X." Then you test it and find
out if the comet has composition X.  If it does, then you have another piece
of evidence to support your hypothesis that the comet came from the asteroid
group.  If it does not, then either your hypothesis is incorrect and needs
to be adjusted, or the comet did *not* come from the asteroid belt.

Alright, fine. Switch the example then (we can play this game for a while
yet to come). Suppose we *don't* know the chemical makeup of Halley's Comet,
because it gets intercepted by a passing star and destroyed. All we have now
is the trajectory. Which is what makes us think that Halley's Comet came
from this particular asteroid group. Scientific? I'm still voting for 'yes'.

DaveE