 Off-Topic / Debate / 17108
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 04:26:50 GMT

  Because "tribes in the stone age" is a severe value judgement.  It
  implies that they exist along a continuum that has us at the "good"
  end and them at the "primitive" or less developed end.  That's the
  core of development theory.
I had no idea that Stone Age was an unpc term. I must update my civilization
terminolgy lexicon. Mabye metallurgically challenged? Not preferring alloys?
Archae/anthro 'gists have been the worst ambassadors and tomb raiders since
recorded history. But trying to erase the term Stone Age due to it's
possible emotional distress it may inflict on those people who exist in that
state is pretty grasping. I don't call sewage holes manholes anymore, I call
them public access holes ;-) but I'm not about to adapt this ridiculous
restraint.
  that X or Y people are, implicitly, less human than industrial states.
  It ignores that not becoming industrial indicates a different path,
  not a "more primitive state."  I'm not denying that there are groups
  of humans who live materially unsophisticated lives, but I defy the
  characterization "stone age" as implicitly making a value judgement
  about those peoples' basic humanity.  That's my problem with it,
  at the core--that "stone age" is a bankrupt and morally suspect
  descriptor.

  A reading suggestion for a really good (and accessible) book on the
  characteristics of anthropo/archaeological research were before WWI
  and why they were implicit in the domination and subjugation of
  people--often horribly brutally--by Europeans and their proxies,
  take a look at Annie Coombes's _Reinventing Africa_; there are
  others I can recommend for specific issues in geography and
  ethnology.

thankyou I'll take a look at that =)
  The "spirit capture" by photography is a far cry from not under-
  standing the representative value of a photograph, though.  I
  read the latter in your comment, not the former.  I'm aware of
yes, that's all that I could reference without digging through my bookshelf,
not that your not worth the effort of course =D~~ This exchanging of
cultural objects even goes on today. The creators of the Rubik's cube when
the were developing the Rubik Magic or Flat, gave it to a small Chinese
village to disassemble and reassemble. And no, I don't have a citation for
this but is this an example of post-modern aggressive racist displacement?

cheers, Joseph