 Off-Topic / Debate / 17090
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 00:46:50 GMT

Now this is refreshing--'The theory of Evolution' and saying that it has
nothing to do with the plausibility of God.

Well, people have been saying that all along!!!!  What took you so long?

Science in general has nothing to say about faith based beliefs other than
"they are outside the purview of science". You can't use science to prove or
disprove them.

But that's not the crux of the argument.

Teaching creation "alongside evolution" is wrong because they talk to
different things.

Discussing the origin of the universe and the origins of life properly
belong in a theology or philosophy class... but that's not the bad part.

Teaching that "evolution is only one explanation, out of many equally
plausible explanations, for speciation" is wrong too.  And it's wrong in a
much worse way. Because in this case it's not an undecidable apples and
oranges comparision like above... no, it's worse. It's patently false.

Evolution is the best current explanation we have and one that is in
accordance with the scientific method. Elevating other explanations to
equivalent status denigrates and demeans the scientific method, and
undermines the notion that reason/trusting senses is the most effective way
to deal with the material world. And that's morally a bad thing. Very bad.

If you say evolution is NOT the best current explanation we have (remember,
it says nothing about why the process works the way it does, or where life
came from or whether a Maker did or did not set up the rules to work the way
they do) then you are less than human.

Less than human, because you repudiate your survival equipment and prefer to
live in a fantasy land where reality doesn't matter, evidence doesn't matter
and wishes were fishes...

Well, evolution will work its way on you too in the end, whether you accept
it or not, as you're no longer the fittest. Unfortunately evolution
sometimes takes a long time to work. Meanwhile those of us that *are*
rational have to put up with a lot of nonsense.