 Off-Topic / Debate / 17104
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 04:03:21 GMT

Science in general has nothing to say about faith based beliefs other than
"they are outside the purview of science". You can't use science to prove or
disprove them.

Teaching creation "alongside evolution" is wrong because they talk to
different things.

That may be true, but I wonder:  When evolution is taught in schools, is it
preceded by the topic "origin of the universe"?  That seems logical to me, and
I'd be willing to bet that Big Bang garners all of the press (to the exclusion
of mentioning a Creator as a "theory"), but I'm guessing.  I wonder what an
atheist would have to say about such an inclusion as that?

Discussing the origin of the universe and the origins of life properly
belong in a theology or philosophy class...

To clarify: are you saying that the origin of the universe and the origin of
life are topics about which science cannot speak ie "outside the purview of
science"?

-John