 Off-Topic / Debate / 1708
Re: Jonathan Wilson's posting privileges on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:49:03 GMT

Naji Norder <n.norder@computer.org> wrote:
Personally, I think anything more than this is usually wasteful junk.  I don't
want to read someone's sig over and over again (unless it changes and is funny,
like Tom McDonald's).  To me, a sig file is just a way to show you don't want
to bother to type your name again - just like sending a letter with a
pre-printed or a rubber stamp signature.

Hmmmmm.... my sigs have evolved over time.  They started out being the
main sure-fire way someone could find out the number to S@H and the
web address of the specials page.  I wouldn't call that wasteful junk.

Now they point people to one of two places.  A place where they can
buy stuff from me, which is a good thing (for me).  And a place where
they can sell things to other AFOL's for free, which is also a good
thing (for me and for them).

I get enough new people signing up at JABA each week that I kinda
think people are reading my sig and making use of it.  I think some of
my new buyers might even agree that they're glad they found it.

Some sigs are wasteful junk, I guess.  Some point people places they
might want to go, though, and I don't think that's junk.

Personally, I think wasting my time, which is valuable, typing my name
or anything else that I can have a computer do for me, is silly.

Dunno, maybe you'd have a different perspective if you'd had to sign
your name 8 billion times or so like I did when I was in the Army.  I
used to like signing my name - on forms, on letters, you name it.  It
was fun.  Then I had to do it in little spaces over and over again,
and it was unfun.  Doing it with a computer, especially in an
all-plaintext forum like this, isn't fun either, so why not let the
computer do what it does best - the repetitive mindless work?  I'll
save my keystrokes for little nuggets of wisdom and wit.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Sure, you could pay someone to run your LEGO auction.