 Off-Topic / Debate / 1706
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:10:09 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
I've kind of always wondered:  Is this mainly applicable for when bad • things
happen to good people?  Or is He also there for someone who has done
something really really bad?  I mean, like, say someone makes a pact with
the Devil.  (I saw this in a Twilight Zone episode once.)  Is He still • there
to support that person when the Devil comes back later to collect on his • end
of the bargain, or is that going too far?

Isn't that Faust?  Interestingly, every time that play resurfaced in a new
era it had a different ending.  There's the original Faust and the French
one and the Age of Reason one, I think.

I don't think anyone is too far gone (until you're dead, and a few people
believe you get another chance after you die).

That is, if you sell your soul to the Devil, is He no longer there for • you?
As I understand it, He would not be there for a Vampire or a Witch or • other
undead because they no longer have souls (their souls left their bodies
after they died).

I've never seen a witch referred to as undead.  Where did you dig that up?
Boy, I'm bad on the puns tonight.

I suppose you could say that we've all sold our souls in the first place,
and that Christ was buying them back when He died.

This makes me also wonder:  Does the Devil have a soul?  Does he have
several?  When you sell your soul to the Devil, does he keep it or destroy
it?  If he keeps it, does that mean that God would forgive the Devil if he
asked forgiveness?

I think religiously "soul" is considered the metaphysical mesh of the body
and the spirit.  Which would mean the Devil probably doesn't have a soul.
God and angels are spirits, without physical bodies, so the Devil, as a
fallen angel, probably doesn't have a body, just a spirit.  But that may be
splitting hairs in a semantic sense.

That last question is pretty interesting.  Would God forgive the Devil if
asked?  It appears to me (without being a divinity scholar) that angels
(normal and fallen) have not displayed any freedom of choice since the
Rebellion.  I don't know.  It's not possible, so I haven't thought about it.

Jesse