 Off-Topic / Debate / 17025
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:56:36 GMT

I don't have a problem with someone believing in a Greater Being...

What I DO have a problem with is the following:
IF such a Greater Being exists, why is he/she/it such a bastard?

I don't take with the Watchmaker theory, it basically doesn't jive.  An
omnipotent being that creates everything then steps back and watches, allowing so
much suffering?   Selfish, cruel, vindictive.
And if not a watchmaker theory, if the GB CAN resolve suffering, why doesn't it?
Selfish, cruel, vindictive.

I really wish I could remember the auther and book (SF) where the someone was
basically "bringing charges" against the Christian God for being such a cruel
being (in this book, the various gods of various beliefs actually existed, and
most of them were disgusted with the CG's set of rules it used), setting such
ridiculous rules with major consequences for trivial actions (damning someone to
hell/purgatory/anything-but-heaven for trivial sins was a biggie).

Does anyone recognize this scenario, and if so, can you list the author/book, so
I can check my wife's database to see if she owns it (with over 3000 SF/F books,
we HAVE to have a database to keep track of them).

If I were a Believer, I'd think I'd want to believe in a system with
reincarnation, as anything that involves a finality of an eternity of suffering
for actions taken over a short time on this planet would seriously tick me off.

James Brown wrote:

At some point, you'd have to acknowledge that some
stuff came from nowhere, which seems illogical within the perimeters of
evolution (to me, at least).

Well, I'd pose the same question on Creationism. Where'd God come from?

Precisely.  But my point is that whether you believe in Evolution or believe
in Creationism, both POVs require the same leap of faith, or whatever you
want to call it.  Neither one, it seems to me, explains our universe any
better than the other.

Evolution isn't trying to explain the universe.  You seem to be stumbling
over that.

What I am reacting to is the notion that a belief in God is somehow
anti-intellectual or intellectually compromising.

Now *THIS* I can agree with (the reaction, not the notion).  It's an
impression I've had for a long time in .debate, although I don't think
anyone's stated it outright.  There are several people who appear to reject
out-of-hand anything that involves faith or belief instead of strict reason
or logic.  This is of course, personal choice and all that jazz, but they
also appear to reject and even deride or vilify anyone who *does* feel that
belief is a valid premise for anything.

There is a strong impression that several people here project: not only are
faith-based arguments invalid but the people who put them forward are
somehow lesser people.

James

--
http://www.sun.com/service/support/software/iplanet/index.html