 Off-Topic / Debate / 17024
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:49:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joseph Williams writes:

Evolution is concerned with the origins of life not the universe.

I disagree. Evolution does not speak to the origins of life on a particular
planet. It merely posits a mechanism by which life on that planet, once
underway (by whatever way it came into being, which Evolution is mute on),
can fill all available niches in the ecology, and can appear to change over
time in response to changes in the environment. (Speciation)

The seminal text is "On the Origins of Species", after all, not "On the
Origins of Life"

Just wanted to toss that out there.

Accepting evolution as a process to explain (observed and observable)
changes in organisms does not mean that you have an explanation for how life
came to be on a planet, nor does it mean you have an explanation or even
description of the events at the start of time as we measure it in this
cosmos, popularly and incorrectly referred to as the big bang.

One of my problems with creationists in general is that they don't seem to
honor these distinctions very well in their arguments. Hence I don't think
they're qualified to request that their beliefs about speciation be taught
as an alternate hypothesis to evolution.