 Off-Topic / Debate / 16905
  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) It may not be freedom in *your* mind, John, but it is in mine. Freedom to run for office whether you have friends with millions in the bank or not. (...) Explain to me how no new people would run for office if the most they'd spend would be (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) would (...) I didn't say more wouldn't run. It's just that they wouldn't *win*. (...) Displacing an incumbent is statistically difficult. They already have the advantage in a reelection attempt. Limiting $$$ hurts the challengers. And BTW, (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

(...) This claim got me interested. I decided that a thorough analysis of the past fifty years of US politics was beyond my level of interest. So I narrowed my exploration to the current US Senate. I sifted and sorted some stats and came up with: 50 (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)