 Off-Topic / Debate / 16905
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:14:36 GMT

John wrote:

But then you are simply restricting freedoms.  Pretty soon we'd end up like the
UK>;-)

The past two UK general elections have produced MPs who got to power with
virtually no funding. That is freedom.

In the UK we limit MP?s political advertising budgets to allow open access
to power.

You said it. You "limit" the budgets.  That's *not* freedom.

It may not be freedom in *your* mind, John, but it is in mine.  Freedom to run for
office whether you have friends with millions in the bank or not.

The average winning candidate spends about $40,000.00.  Think
about how that would change your system of government. Bored businessmen
can?t buy themselves a seat in our parliament by spawning the TV with
vacuous advertisements.

So the liberal, career-politician incumbants can remain in power.  No thanks.

Explain to me how no new people would run for office if the most they'd spend would
be $100K.  TONS of people could raise that much, but tens of millions?

PLEASE.  Limiting moneys spent on political campaigns would INCREASE the chance of
knocking incumbents out of office.  All office is is a money-generating scheme for
the next election for most career politicians.

People need to ask why these inequalities exist.

One big reason is because they are *perpetuated* by shameless pandering from
the left.  Victims need social champions.  Funny thing is, nothing seems to
change for them.  Sure, they get a bone now and then, but that's about it.
When will the working class realize that they are merely being used by the left
to justify and perpetuate their (liberals) pathetic existence.  There is
nothing sorrier than a career politician.

Oh GIVE ME A BREAK.  Career politicians are from the left AND right.  You make it
sound like every career politician is a liberal.  What a joke.

We obviously know your leanings, John.  Listen to Rush much?

Who said anything about force?  I'm just saying that 100 years ago people
couldn't try to fit in fast enough.  Today it's the opposite.

Is that a problem? Don't you want your kids to speak Spanish? ¿Quizás está
agregará una dimensión cultural a su vida?

Actually, I did.  My city offers language immersion schooling, although the
selected language wasn't Spanish, but French.  Both of my kids speak french
fluently.

That's too bad - French isn't exactly a major world language these days ;-)

Take a look at what your country is willing to do in the name of freedom.
The biggest risk to you and me is your country's foreign policy. Understand
that much John.

I can't because I don't know what you are talking about.  Is it because we have
the nerve to support those whom they hate?  Is it because we give them billions
of $$$ for their oil?  You will need to explain that one.

It's pretty simple, John.  Too often we JUST throw money at a problem, and ignore any
backlash or consequences.  We seem to have a problem understanding why money just
isn't the right response in many cases (in many it IS, but then we have to spend the
money the RIGHT ways).  And we often back the wrong side, simply because it is to our
advantage at the time.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/