 Off-Topic / Debate / 16863
Re: UK gets a raw deal again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 21:37:27 GMT

What's so great about Leiden? The only reason I live here is because of the
international school in Leiderdorp that our daughter goes to. But I can't
wait to leave Leiden behind me again. Do you know it's got the lowest
average IQ in the country? And that includes all the students at the famous
university...

Duq,
who prefers Limerick to Leiden

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.uk, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
In Holland it's EUR 89,99 = 88.7358 USD
According to www.xe.com/ucc GBP 59.99 = 92.1177 USD, so that's 54% • more....

But then again, salaries in the US are much higher than in Europe, so it • all
makes sense... or does it?

  Not always.  Cost of living also varies dramatically; in New Jersey,
  for example, $12,000 takes me much less far than it did in Leiden;
  however, it takes me farther than it did in Greater London.  From my
  understanding of the VAT and so forth, the UK cost still works out to
  US + 30% or so.

The big problem is that "middle England" wants US levels of taxation • coupled
with European levels of public services. They want US level of (alleged)
growth with EU environmental protection. Too few people are able to see • that
these things may not be 100% compatible 100% of the time.

Scott A
(Who prefers Leiden to London)