 Off-Topic / Debate / 16835
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:26:59 GMT

Saying that Dubya cannot say 'God' either as himself or as his position
because it goes contrary to the separation of C & S is ludicrous at best.
Dubya has the freedom to say as he pleases--that's what the little blurb
from the WW was a bout, as well as your own Freedom of Speech.

Freedom of Speech can be restricted by requirements of circumstance and
profession.  If W announced that we were about to obliterate Canada with
nuclear bombardment and said that we've just launched the missiles, would
you say "oh, that's just a guy exercising his Free Speech" or would you
expect the United States to issue some sort of explanation.  In my job I'm
not free to discuss certain matters with non-employees; that's not
un-Constitutional; that's protection of privileged material.  Even here on
LUGNET some people are in possession of sensitive LEGO-related information
that they're not free to divulge.

I know about shouting 'Fire!' in a crowded Theatre arguement--don't get
bogged down in semantics.

About the pledge--it's not the issue--the issue there is bullies.  Was it
the Pledge who beat up the kids at recess?  Was it the Pledge that threw the
first punch?

You're caricaturing; the issue is that the State, in the form of The
School, enforces policy.  The School (ie, the State) is the bully. To reduce
it to a playground brawl is either to attack a straw man or else a serious
misunderstanding of the issue.

And you're getting bogged down in semantics and slippery slopes--if you're
afraid that your kid's going to get beat up 'cause he or she's differnt in
any way, it's not the differences that's the problem, it's the beating up bit.

I wore a cub scout uniform to school every Tuesday, for my cub meeting was
after school down at the park.  Did wearing the uniform cause some grief in
class and/or on the playground?  Sure, but in the grande scheme of things...
whatever...

But that's no good in real life.  I know a guy who lost both legs in an
industrial accident; does that mean that no one who still has legs has a
right to complain when they hurt?  If your logic is correct, all we need to
do is find the person who's suffered the most, and the rest of us can all
shut up.

Slippery slope.  There are things that build character, and there are
legitimate greivances--to distinguish the two is the rub.  This debate would
never have arisen in the '70's 'cause then, when I was in school, we took
care of our own and didn't look to gov't for protection against things that
we didn't like.  I just realized that we scream and kick and fight against
Orwell's idea in 1984 concerning Big Brother, but we are running head-long
right into that very situation when we want gov't to protect us from any and
all hurt and harm caused just by living.  Thanks but no thanks.

This reminds me of a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon, when Calvin put
on his dad's glasses, walked into the living room and said 'Calvin, go do
something you hate--it builds character' in his best dad's voice.  I always
loved that strip.

Cartoons and primetime melodramas forming your understanding of US
national policy; what goes on above the border?!?  8^)

As opposed to the alternative--the American Press, living in fear that if
they write anything contrary to Bush's policy that they will lose their
credibility and/or jobs?  A Pro-American bias in all the text books and/or
sources of info that touts the sacredness of pieces of paper?  An arrogant
presumptive country that believes in its manifest destiny handed down by God
but wait--you can't say that 'cause it's got the word 'God' in it...?

Yeah, cartoons and melodramas are at least a step up.

Dave

-who truly still loves his American neighbours, and we couldn't ever have a
show even remotely like the West Wing 'cause a) who could understand the
Prime Minister, and b) we already have Question Period.