 Off-Topic / Debate / 16774
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 00:59:57 GMT

We have a disconnect here. There is something resistant to logical analysis
in what John is saying. It just doesn't gibe with what the other side is
saying, in that it shows a lack of understanding of the fundamental point.

Personally, I don't think that atheists apply because they don't constitute a
religion; practicing atheism is akin to doing nothing (unless one is an
atheistic activist who goes about crying about being persecuted for believing
in nothing).

And the above seems to sum it up nicely.

Inserting statements about god into important documents means that,
fundamentally, the US is a religious country (of some sort, of no particular
sort, it doesn't matter really) rather than a country that takes no position
on the matter.

I am glad that the US doesn't have a state religion. But I dispute that the
founding fathers intended that the US be religious. I claim they intended it
to take no position pro or anti with respect to the question. Intent is hard
to decipher at this remove, though.

So I also use the angle that statements like this one:

(unless one is an
atheistic activist who goes about crying about being persecuted for believing
in nothing).

show a lack of understanding that atheists are *in fact* persecuted and
stigmatised on a regular basis in this country, and further, it implies that
the writer of such statements is OK with that if they are.

OK with persecution for lack of a particular kind of belief or world view,
in other words, or OK with nonconformance with the author's world view.

And although John is a friend of mine I find it personally disappointing as
I thought he was a bigger person than that.

I persecute no one. I interfere with no beliefs. I tolerate everything
except intolerance.

Inserting "under god" into official statements or worse, into things that
people have to *affirm to be citizens* (all new citizens are required to
recite the pledge and I know of no provision for omitting words as the
reciter so chooses), is *intolerance*. It is intolerance of a belief system
or world view that does no harm to others in and of itself, and that I
cannot tolerate.

I have said my bit now, and I don't think this debate will get much further
in terms of adding new information, but who knows. If it does I may chime in
again, we shall see.

I welcomed the change in the 9th district, just as I welcomed the removal of
the Noah's Ark mural from our local public school. That removal stood.
Whether this removal will stand is another matter. I expect it won't. Most
of our politicians are too craven to do what is right.