 Off-Topic / Debate / 16767
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:22:29 GMT

If you can really believe this, then please explain who this God is. I
assume, though correct me if I'm wrong, that the big G indicates the god of
Abraham -- Jehovah (or whatever) and no other.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't
mean Ashur, Odin, or Lucifer.

You are very wrong.  It is *intentially* vague.  It is whomever you deem it
to be.

You can say that Chris is wrong, but you're either lying, benighted, or
simply misinformed.  When he signed the Bill in 1954, President Eisenhower
wrote that "millions of our schoolchildren will daily proclaim in every city
and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our nation
and our people to the Almighty."  That's not "whomever you deem it to be."
It's "THE" [so-called] Almighty.

Notice, however, the addition wasn't "in Jesus God" or "in Christ Almighty".
That may be what Eisenhower had in his mind, but that isn't necessarily what it
should mean to others.  It is in the spirit of walking the thin line begun by
our FFs.

-John