 Off-Topic / Debate / 16768
Re: Under God? (What an amusing debate)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:33:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

She stated: "What does it matter if the word god is in the
pledge [of allegiance]. God can be anything you want, you can call money • god.
Why do adults get so worked up over nothing."

I don't know what to make of such a statement.  God can _not_ be "anything • you
want."  You can call a duck, a chicken -- but you're just wrong.

Why do you automatically assume god = God? (Or maybe I am taking your meaning
wrong) Anything can be a god.

I don't assume god = God.  But the PoA says "God" and not "god."  So I can only
assume that they meant Jehovah.  And if you can make any case that God does not
mean Jehovah (which I doubt) then you would still have to show that God is a
term somehow inclusive of the multiple gods of a pantheon and even the nothing
remotely like a god that I know really exists.

It's funny...I'd have to say that fundamental freedoms are about as important
as they come.

Last time I checked no one is being forced by the government to belive in God.

Merely forced to recite an oath that one is true to a nation that holds God as
a significant force...right?  Even if our government made you _claim_ to
believe in God, they still wouldn't be making you believe.  So I'm not sure
your point has any merit.

I see this as a media stunt that has no real impact at all.  What difference
does it make really?  If 'under god' is removed from the Pledge, does in
change anything that would otherwise be if it is not?  Somehow I doubt it,
and as such I do not really care if it goes or stays.

It does!  Many many Americans feel disenfranchised by the PoA.  Is that a good
thing?  If nothing else, this is an opportunity for Christian Americans to
offer an olive branch of inclusion to those of us who are not religious.  But I
don't see anyone doing that.

A shame really.

Chris