 Off-Topic / Debate / 15359
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:16:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Inosanto writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:
My reasons for feeling they are abuse is due to the drowning out of content
I, and other fans I speak to on a regular basis, am interested in, the
bandwidth issues, and their general appearance.  Frankly, I think they're
ugly.  I wouldn't complain if there was one or two per recent page, since
there have been other things I've thought were ugly and didn't comment on.

Your felling they are abuse is because you do not like them, and they take
up space for items you do like. Just so happens that there are many of these
items you do not like. But they are lego related, like it or not - they are
lego related and should not be banned from a lego pic hosting service.

Yes.  I do dislike them.  I dislike a number of other things, too, but I'm not
calling for bans on them.  Why?  I don't think they are abuses.  The basis for
every complaint has been becausse of disliking something.

Anyway, who are you to determine what I can and can't ask for a ban on?

I rarely check the Brickshelf recent page from home anymore because I have
dialup, and downloading all of those avatar images is a waste of *my*
bandwidth, and the only thing I can do about it is not look, which means I
may very well miss viewing models I *am* interested in.

Well, that is ecause of your viewing habbits. But should we ban the items
you do not like to fit your viewing habbits?

I don't see why not, if a large number of people agree with me, and Kevin
decides to listen to us.  Many things on the internet are based on other
people's viewing habits.  The use of high bandwith images is designed around
the viewing habits of people who have DSL and cable.  TV shows are sometimes
cancelled because people object to content.   Heck, pornography, in essence,
isn't allowed to be publicly viewable because a group of people feel it is
objectionable.  Sometimes these groups are large.  Sometimes they are small.
Either way, someone (in the group sense) is determining what is viewed by
everyone.

Well, I rather doubt that all of them are reserved strictly for BZ, and
honestly, I'd complain if Lugnet used a similar system and members here put
the images up on Brickshelf.

Maybe they all are reserved for BZ, maybe not - does it really matter what
they are reserved for? They are Lego related images.

No, it doesn't matter.  What does matter is that they are disruptive to my
viewing experience.

I submit they are of less interest to the general fan community than pics of
any MOC whatsoever.

Ok, lets see your evidence of that. Even if it only interests 5 people in
the entire world, it is lego related, and not of adult content - so does
that mean it should be banned? I was unaware that if a certian percentage of
people did not like the particular item we should throw it away like it is
trash. It is lego related, and there are people who like it - you just have
to learn to deal with it.

Sure, little interest in itself isn't reason to ban something.  However, if a
large number of people feel it is disruptive and diminishing of the viewing
experience, they have a perfectly valid reason to ask for a ban.  For example,
I'm not particularily fond of Train MOCs, but I don't feel they are disruptive,
therefore I don't call for a ban on them.

but what standard do we use to determine if an image is of "general interest
to the LEGO community"?

I suppose whatever "we" can convince Kevin is of general interest to the fan
community.  :)

Once again, because you do not like it it is bad for the community.. hmm

Excuse me?  Where in blazes did this come from?  I said nothing about me in
that line.

How many people need to be interested in the picture for it to be
acceptable?

Actually, I think it should be the other way around.  If a lot of people
complain, then maybe it isn't of general interest, hmm?  :)

Why are you complaining? Oh ya - because you do not like it. Not because it
is not of intrest, but because you do not like it.

Yep, I don't like them, and I think they're disruptive.  Do you think anyone
complains about something they like?  Or something they are apathetic towards?
No, of course not.  Please allow this simple idea to register in your brain.

Too much bandwith? I have been meaning to get to this... have you checked
the file size of these? I saved the first one I saw and you know how big the
file was? 3.29kb - thats it!

Tim answered this well, so I don't need to expand upon it.

I am more concerned about the NON-LEGO pictures that are 100+ kb in size.
You would have to have appx. 33 of these pictures to equal one 100kb pic.
Your argument would be much better if you went after non-lego items like this:
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=8106

Those are technically already banned, however, Brickshelf does need better
policing.  I plan to bring this up next time I talk to Kevin.  Besides, we are
talking about a change in the current Terms of Service.

- member folder pictures (example:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?lsearch=andersson ) (these
pictures which serve the same purpose as avatars could be allowed while
banning similar images for other services, they also do not exist in the
normal Brickshelf space so presumably updates of them don't cause
something to appear in the recent updates pages).

Those are almost never seen and take up very little space, and thus generate
little bandwidth issues.  :)

This is the most flawed logic you have presented yet. When anything is
uploaded or altered it goes to the top of the recent page. And ack to
bandwith, the 100+kb non-lego pics take up MUCH more bandwidth than these
3kb files.

What?  Changing the personal user icon does NOT move the folder to the top of
the recent page.  Again, did you even read what was written?  Apparently not.
Please make sure you understand what is being talked about before you call it
"flawed logic."

What I will say is that somebody needs to explain to 'boy genius' that he
can use one folder to hold all of his images, he is what you call 'flooding'
the recent page. If he put all of his images into one folder it would be
easier for your vieewing habbits - I think your problem really needs to be
with him, not with these images in general.

He is one person, and I think he is doing it on purpose because of this thread.
Besides, it is NOT just one person.  there are a large number of people
uploading such pics, and if even ten of these people add a new picture once a
day, they'll stay in the recent page thus continuing the flooding.

I think it would be easy to find 'boy genius' by looking over on BZ and
explain to him that he only needs one folder, not many folders with only one
pic in each one.

And if he doesn't listen?  What then?

Jeff