 Off-Topic / Debate / 15360
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:18:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Inosanto writes:
In lugnet.general, Chris Maddison writes:
As for flooding the Recent Updates page, any time you add anything (duh)
it's added to the recent gallery.

How about a suggestion to Kevin that the recent gallery not get things sent
to it unless the user explicitly checks a box to do it? That way when you
reorged your folders it wouldn't cause flooding.

That's a good suggestion.  Emailed to Kevin.  Thanks Lar.

Actaully, thats a very bad idea, here is why:  These people make and upload
these to be seen, thats the point of these things - to be used as an id for
posts.

Right. So if they're hosted on Brickshelf and thus appear as an ID on posts
do they ALSO need to appear in "recent images"

Do you think that these people would mark a box that would basically
keep them from being seen?

Not following you here. Checking that box would not prevent the image from
being served up, just from being shown in the recent folders/images
thumbnail pages. Why would someone really want their avatar to be seen out
of context???

Be realistic. If this was an option do you think
that the only people who would really use it would be people that ARE
violiating the brickshelf TOC and do not want them to be seen?

Hey, a rule that flushes out bad apples easily. Good idea.

I think this
'checkbox' would only encourage TOS violations, and not hide what you
consider trash.

I think you may want to slow down and read what is written a bit more
carefully before you respond, you're starting to foam a bit. You don't need
to personally respond to just about every post, you know.

tom
'xed to debate - did Larry post this outside of debate?

Sorry, I missed where Chris was posting this and forgot to check the FUT.
Thanks for XFUT to the correct place, I appreciate it.

Lets all freak out now!

You can if you want.

I think most other people would rather discuss this calmly... I know I
would. I think a few facts are needed about bandwidth usage, relative growth
of the thumbnails pages, etc. how Kevin is doing for donations and other
stuff before we go off half cocked.

I'd like to see Kevin himself weigh in ( if he hasn't already, I'm in the
airport and haven't read the whole tree yet, shame on me) on this. HE is the
ultimate arbiter, after all.

-Chris