 Off-Topic / Debate / 15343
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:34:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, posting the avatar images are a blatant abuse of
the free service Kevin is providing to us as Lego fans.

I don't see how these images are abuse. The TOS only requires that
images be related to LEGO products or be of general interest to the LEGO
community.

My reasons for feeling they are abuse is due to the drowning out of content I,
and other fans I speak to on a regular basis, am interested in, the bandwidth
issues, and their general appearance.  Frankly, I think they're ugly.  I
wouldn't complain if there was one or two per recent page, since there have
been other things I've thought were ugly and didn't comment on.

I rarely check the Brickshelf recent page from home anymore because I have
dialup, and downloading all of those avatar images is a waste of *my*
bandwidth, and the only thing I can do about it is not look, which means I may
very well miss viewing models I *am* interested in.

Unless one feels that Bionicle Zone is not part of the "LEGO
community" I would think that avatars for use on BZ would apply since
they are of general interest to the segment of the LEGO community which
uses BZ.

Well, I rather doubt that all of them are reserved strictly for BZ, and
honestly, I'd complain if Lugnet used a similar system and members here put the
images up on Brickshelf.

The volume of them is large, and they may not interest as large a number
of us as pictures of the latest supper MOC,

I submit they are of less interest to the general fan community than pics of
any MOC whatsoever.

but what standard do we use to determine if an image is of "general interest
to the LEGO community"?

I suppose whatever "we" can convince Kevin is of general interest to the fan
community.  :)

How many people need to be interested in the picture for it to be
acceptable?

Actually, I think it should be the other way around.  If a lot of people
complain, then maybe it isn't of general interest, hmm?  :)

I know very well what hurting means, thank you very much.  These images are
flooding out the content I want to veiw, and are most *certainly* hurting my
viewing experience.  And I'll say again, they are hurting the signal to
noise ratio on Brickshelf.

That is a valid complaint, and hopefully Kevin will respond to it. I
hope he does so in a way which lays down clear and reasonable rules
which don't prevent the occasional "fun" picture and preferably just
does something so that certain classes of images don't flood the "recent
updates" pages. I think banning them would be hard to do without hurting
the overall community. Pictures which I would like to see continue to be
allowed on Brickshelf which could be targeted by the same rule which
bans avatars include:

"Do not upload images to be used as "avatars" on web forums because they use
too much bandwidth."  Works for me, although I'm sure Kevin would be able write
a better worded ban than that.  ;)

- photo's of fans (and their families, including pets) which help us see
each other as individuals (example:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=584 ) (careful wording
could continue to allow these while banning avatars)

Well, Kevin has said in the past that a few personal images are of general
interest to the community, whereas family albums are not.  ;)

- member folder pictures (example:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?lsearch=andersson ) (these
pictures which serve the same purpose as avatars could be allowed while
banning similar images for other services, they also do not exist in the
normal Brickshelf space so presumably updates of them don't cause
something to appear in the recent updates pages).

Those are almost never seen and take up very little space, and thus generate
little bandwidth issues.  :)

Note that it would actually be easier to ban pictures for eBay and whatnot
since there a purpose is to use the image to get money.

Kevin has specifically said, however, that he *wants* people to put their ebay
and brickbay images on Brickshelf.  In my opinion, even those images are of
more interest to the general fan community than the avatar images, especially
when viewing the recent page.

Jeff