 Off-Topic / Debate / 15338
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:36:45 GMT

Jeff Stembel wrote:
What you are failing to understand is that this is the region of Lego that
these people love, and this is how they show it. Is there anything wrong
with that?

As far as I'm concerned, posting the avatar images are a blatant abuse of the
free service Kevin is providing to us as Lego fans.

I don't see how these images are abuse. The TOS only requires that
images be related to LEGO products or be of general interest to the LEGO
community. Unless one feels that Bionicle Zone is not part of the "LEGO
community" I would think that avatars for use on BZ would apply since
they are of general interest to the segment of the LEGO community which
uses BZ.

The volume of them is large, and they may not interest as large a number
of us as pictures of the latest supper MOC, but what standard do we use
to determine if an image is of "general interest to the LEGO community"?
How many people need to be interested in the picture for it to be
acceptable? Or does it just take some number of people who think it's a
waste of bandwidth to block it?

Is that hurting you? Is that hurting brickshelf? And make sure you understand
what *hurting* means.

I know very well what hurting means, thank you very much.  These images are
flooding out the content I want to veiw, and are most *certainly* hurting my
viewing experience.  And I'll say again, they are hurting the signal to noise
ratio on Brickshelf.

That is a valid complaint, and hopefully Kevin will respond to it. I
hope he does so in a way which lays down clear and reasonable rules
which don't prevent the occasional "fun" picture and preferably just
does something so that certain classes of images don't flood the "recent
updates" pages. I think banning them would be hard to do without hurting
the overall community. Pictures which I would like to see continue to be
allowed on Brickshelf which could be targeted by the same rule which
bans avatars include:

- photo's of fans (and their families, including pets) which help us see
each other as individuals (example:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=584 ) (careful wording
could continue to allow these while banning avatars)

- member folder pictures (example:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?lsearch=andersson ) (these
pictures which serve the same purpose as avatars could be allowed while
banning similar images for other services, they also do not exist in the
normal Brickshelf space so presumably updates of them don't cause
something to appear in the recent updates pages).

If the bandwidth used by these pictures (the main thing Kevin should be
concerned with) is really huge (compared to a folder of megabyte
pictures), then perhaps a bandwidth restriction might be in order. I
don't think we want to get into deciding what portion of the LEGO fan
community must be interested in an image before it can be hosted on
Brickshelf. The best rule is one which allows any image which can
reasonably be connected to LEGO fandom. Note that it would actually be
easier to ban pictures for eBay and whatnot since there a purpose is to
use the image to get money.

Frank