 Off-Topic / Debate / 15171
Re: questions on current events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:20:24 GMT

"Kirby Warden" <inourimage@msn.com> writes:

You've pretty much answered your own question, although the creditors
would pay less, they could still charge the same to their own
customers.

Do you mean that the _difference_ between the federal interest rate and
the interest rate charged by the credit card companies is fixed,
i.e. that the payment charged for the service remains the same?

Or do you mean that the credit card interest rate remains the same, even
with the decrease of the federal interest rate?  It is not quite clear
to me what you mean.

In the first case, it is only fair that the credit card companies make
the same amount of money, even with a fluctuating interest rate.  In the
second case, I would say that the competition on the marked cannot be
functioning properly, as the lowering of the federal interest rate does
not benefit the customers.

Fredrik