 Off-Topic / Debate / 15163
Re: questions on current events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:04:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
I've been spending a lot time recently randomly searching various topics on
the net.  Often I find myself following links from "list" sites (sites that
contain lots of links to other sites ex; Fark.com).

This evening I came across a site called "The Progressive".

Has anyone here every read articles on this site and has it proven itself a
reliable source of information on current events?

More specifically, I am curious about an article on the site that states the
U.S. has twice bombed the Red Cross in Afganistan.

Where have you been? Read this:
US admits second bombing error
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1621000/1621921.stm

Also an older article states that the WTO, after the Seattle incident, chose
it's following meeting in an obscure, out-of-the-way country that seems to
be entirely against human rights.  If this is true, what does this say about
the WTO?

Givin that China & Israel are members and Russia is knocking at the door for
entry, that should not surprise you all that much. More about the meeting in
Qatar here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1702000/1702241.stm

The full list of WTO memebers can be viewed here:
http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/org6_e.htm

If we are talking human rights, the real question is why the USA did not
take part in this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1693000/1693125.stm

...and why there will be no investigation into this in the UK:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1680000/1680072.stm

Scott A

I have yet to do any follow-up searches on these two topics, but wanted to
see if anyone might have something to say about the articles' claims.  Any
free info would certainly be handy.