 Off-Topic / Debate / 15165
Re: questions on current events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:17:11 GMT

If youi want to talk bastardy things that so-called enlightened western powers
have done, how about:

1. The international land mine ban (not signed by the US, Israel or Finland-
also not signed by China, Russia parts of africa, Iraq, Iran, etc.) Talk about
your strange bedfellows...  (www.icbl.org)

2. The US being the largest player (by far) in the international arms trade
(www.fas.org/asmp)- and using the pathetic rationalization that, 'if we don't
sell them the guns, someone else will.)

3. Refusing to take part in or support the international war crimes tribunal
(largely because it would allow americans to be tried as well as 'the bad
guys'.  Read up on the history of my lai in Viet Nam, and you will see colin
powell in a whole new light...

4. The US Continually vetoeing (29 times!) security counsel resolutions that
would address the palestinian issue (including one that would force Israel to
abide by the Geneva Convention)

5. The US Leaving the ABM treaty, and thus eliminating the stabilizing
influence of Mutually Assured Destruction.  Thus creating another arms race and
the militarization of space.  This and the fact that a missile shield would not
have prevented the WTC attacks.

6. Creating a gestapo/homeland security ministry, raping individual freedoms,
rights etc. ignoring due process etc. all in the name of security.  Of course,
once the alleged 'crisis' is 'over', none of the laws railroaded through will
be repealed.

7. Israel's continual ignoring of UN resolutions and its use of large-scale
military response to the Palestinian problem, which has lead to a massive
escalation in frequency of attacks and severity of response.  Basically-
state-sponsored terrorism on the part of Israel.

8. Colonialism and the refusal to acknowledge it as an echoing destabilizing
force

9. The very existence of the WTO- all of whose officials dhould be lined up...

10. Allowing the existence of sweatshops in 3rd world countries, so we can get
our Nike's made.  Take a look at how much they cost to buy (hundred dollars),
how much the spokesman made (millions of dollars), and how much the worker made
(cents per hour).  And every time they try to create laws that protect workers,
or the workers organize unions for things like fair wages and days off, the
sweatshops pull up stakes and move to another banana republic to do it all over
again.

11. The existence of the Death penalty in the US, a proven non-deterrent, since
most mureders or death-involving crimes are crimes of passion/heat of the
moment, or accidental- despite what TV sells us (note thats *sells*, not
'tells').

12. The war on drugs- which failed miserably and cost american taxpayers a
fortune- by increasing policing, building more prisons and locking up petty
marijuana users, but didn't go after the big fish.

13. Having the nerve to say that its our duty to 'go out and spend' to keep the
economy going.  Screw that.  I am not wasting my money on junk if i don't need
to- thats what has made us all debt-ridden credit-card wielding idiots.  Why
not have some relief on credit card interest rates?  Thats an interest rate
that would affect most of us a lot more than greenspans token lowering of the
fed.  I think the end of fight club had the right idea for the fate of credit
card companies.  Thats why i cut mine up.  F--k the vultures.

The west is as blood-soaked as the rest- we just have better spin doctors and
publicity machines, and our populace isn't very critical of the government.

We just commit all our crimes in the name of *our* religion- capitalism.  We
are whores- we do it for the money.

Merry Chri$tma$

john