 Off-Topic / Debate / 15162
    questions on current events —Kirby Warden
   I've been spending a lot time recently randomly searching various topics on the net. Often I find myself following links from "list" sites (sites that contain lots of links to other sites ex; Fark.com). This evening I came across a site called "The (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: questions on current events —Scott Arthur
   (...) Where have you been? Read this: US admits second bombing error (URL) (...) Givin that China & Israel are members and Russia is knocking at the door for entry, that should not surprise you all that much. More about the meeting in Qatar here: (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: questions on current events —John Grubber
     If youi want to talk bastardy things that so-called enlightened western powers have done, how about: 1. The international land mine ban (not signed by the US, Israel or Finland- also not signed by China, Russia parts of africa, Iraq, Iran, etc.) (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: questions on current events —Fredrik Glöckner
      (...) But doesn't the federal interest rate affect the interest rate used by the credit card companies? I would assume that a cut of the federal interest rate would quickly lead to a similar cut of the interest rate used by the credit companies. (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

          Re: questions on current events —Kirby Warden
      You've pretty much answered your own question, although the creditors would pay less, they could still charge the same to their own customers. (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

          Re: questions on current events —Fredrik Glöckner
      (...) Do you mean that the _difference_ between the federal interest rate and the interest rate charged by the credit card companies is fixed, i.e. that the payment charged for the service remains the same? Or do you mean that the credit card (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

          Re: questions on current events —Kirby Warden
      (...) I've read about the shear basics on this subject so what I say about it is certainly arguable, however, maybe I can better clarify what I think I know. A bank can borrow from the federal reserve. There is interest tacked on to what the bank (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

          Re: questions on current events —Fredrik Glöckner
      (...) This is probably true. But in a market in which the competition works well, I would say that that the federal interest rate _should_ affect the rate offered to the customers. In Norway, there are always some banks which lower their interest (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: questions on current events —Scott Arthur
      (...) I'm not sure what it can prevent. The whole project looks highly speculative. Dubya should just hand over the cash to his arms industry buddies and leave it at that... (...) ...and to you. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: questions on current events —Kirby Warden
   (...) I've been purposely staying away from the T.V. and newspapers. I've decided there might be more unbiased information available elsewhere. Unfortunately I've also missed a few current events, but hey, nothing's really changed all that much, (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)