 Off-Topic / Debate / 1486
1485  |  1487
Subject:
Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:47:00 GMT

Simon & All;

Based on the conversations I have read regarding these issues (health care,
right of, etc.), and Larry's views (Libertarian), I think a lot of you are
missing Larry's point as well as my own. If you compare what the founding
Fathers said, in the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Federalist Papers,
and compare it to the behemoth in Washington D.C. (a.k.a. the Federal
Government), they would literally die from shock at the power and money
Washington D.C. carries with it today.

There is no health care, Social Security, Welfare, Subsidized housing &
farming, food stamps, etc., etc., etc. guaranteed under the original
Constitution or the Bill of Rights. These were add ons from numerous policy
changes and situations where they were either needed at the time, or some
party/philosophy passed them. Libertarians (Please tell me if I am wrong,
Larry!) believe that government has grown out of control (We can debate this
forever as well), that it has too much money and power, and should be scaled
back to what the original intent of the U.S. government was to be. As a
Conservative, I believe this as well. I tend to side towards the Republicans
than the Libertarians over certain Libertarian philosophies, but I consider we
are similar minded in 99.3% of the circumstances.

However, today, the American Taxpayer is paying more in taxes PER CAPITA than
during WW2. Every time Bill Clinton and others propose more benefits (a.k.a.
Prescription coverage for everyone/Medicare/etc.) it is sickening. My fiancee is
finishing up her Pharmacy degree, and she just shakes her head when I talk to
her about this. Every time you hear any politician planning on "spending" the
supposed "budget surplus", realize that you are being overcharged by the
government!! That is YOUR money, not the politicians, never forget that. If Todd
overcharged you for the current Auczilla 500 set auction, you would be upset and
want your money back. Why not taxes? I am sick of hearing the audacity of
certain politicians (i.e. Charley Rangal, Bill Clinton, Algore, etc.) say they
want to spend it, to give it back would destroy the economy (Huh?) kill
children, starve old people, etc., etc., etc. I can't imagine all the money I
could make if I could take some, if not all, of the Social Security (Which my
generation will never see because the program will be bankrupt by 2025, based on
Congressional Budget Office numbers) money, and put it into my own
investments.

I think everyone agrees that we do need to pay for certain things (roads,
military, etc.) However, in summary, I believe we are overtaxed by a
bureaucratic monstrosity, that the government cannot reform itself, and that
social spending will continue to bankrupt us if we are not careful. If the role
of the Federal government continues to expand, we will lose not only or
independence, we will lose our freedom, which is something that any person would
not like. We will end up just like the USSR, and you know what happened over
there. That is what I (And I dare say Larry?) are talking about.

Scott "Sick of leftism" Sanburn

[Erased everything]