 Off-Topic / Debate / 14728
Re: "Why Do so many hate America"... or is it "Why does America hate US?"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:46:43 GMT

This is a quote from Kurt Vonnegut's 'Cats Craddle', written in 1963. I only
read this recently, coincidentally enough around Sept11.

"-People- are hated a lot of places. Claire pointed out in her letter that
Americans, in being hated, were simply paying the normal penalty for being
people, and that they were foolish to think they should somehow be exempted
from the penalty"...

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
From the Phillipines, via my IBMTEXT alumni list

http://www.inq7.net/opi/2001/oct/23/opi_csdequiros-1.htm

I found it quite interesting... however I also agree in part with some of
the responses to it from that list, here's one in its entireity:

- start -

That is certainly a third-world editorial.

The turmoil in Afghanistan started in 1973.  The Taliban were hardly a
creature of the US, and did not receive any direct US aid.  The fact that
the Afghanis were not able re-establish civil rule after the Soviets left • is
hardly the fault of America's government or people (who have been the
largest contributors of aid to the Afghan people for the past decade).  It
is the fault of the Afghanis.

Suppose the US had tried to bring order to Afghanistan's murderous brew of
ethnic conflict and larcenous warlords. The same sniveling turd-world
yuppies who complain about neglect would be whining about racist
neo-colonialism and arrogant cultural imperialism.  And what goes for
Afghanistan goes for Uganda, the Philippines, and Chile (the writer is
obviously going on knee-jerk reflexes learned from the New York Times to
bring up Chile). What were the wonderful alternatives that America robbed
them of? The Philippines and Uganda would look like Afghanistan and Chile
like Romania.

Do they hate us because we are happy, prosperous, and free, while they • live
in a fly-specked tyrannical dung heap that no self-respecting camel would
wipe his ass with?  Of course they do, because they know it is their • fault,
because they know that if they didn't think that their neighbor's success
was their loss;  that if they were able to argue instead of riot, so • brutal
thugs were the only sort of government that could stay in power; that if
they believed in an objective world to be addressed by reason and
intelligence, instead of a fantasy realm to be imposed by  theocracy, then
they might be happy, prosperous, and free.

So the people who "hate" America and, like the editorialist, want to blame
America for not magically rescuing them from themselves, need to face up • to
some facts:  America doesn't hate them, and, yes, Americans are lucky to • be
Americans, but America is not lucky, she is blessed, blessed by
accepting--as they have not--to have her soul confirmed in self-control, • and
her liberty confirmed in law. In the meantime, they can get on board, shut
up and get out of the way, or wait until there is space on the • Enterprise's
dance card.

- end -

(I think the truth is somewhere in between these two viewpoints, Sean
(above) was off the beam quite a bit, although I really really think • "damned
if you do, damned if you don't" resonates. We "saved" europe via WW II and
the Marshall plan and by defeating the USSR, yet many europeans resent us
just the same, while still wanting to live like us, and in large part • doing so!)

++Lar