 Off-Topic / Debate / 14375
Re: "Why Do so many hate America"... or is it "Why does America hate US?"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:13:13 GMT

although I really really think "damned if you do, damned if you don't" >resonates.

I am willing to agree with this much.  Would doing nothing as far as foreign
policy goes be too difficult a course of action to follow for some reason?

I waffle on this. Long time readers know I usually lean in the jeffersonian
"honest friendship for all, entangling alliances with none" direction but
I've been somewhat swayed lately by those who argue that 200 years on, with
ICBM transit times being in the tens or hundreds of minutes, that this no
longer is a realistic policy, and also swayed by the successes we had when
we did nation building "right" (i.e., after WW II).

But ya, I can be swayed back.

I say screw the rest of the world -- feed the U.S.!  We could change the
face of the U.S. with all the money we are blowing abroad.

Yes! By letting the taxpayers keep it, for example.

++Lar