 Off-Topic / Debate / 14408
  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) "Dead end" has an air of finality that can't be declared with any confidence when speaking of evolution. It may be the case, though I don't think so, that we've created a temporary stall on evolution, but even then, it's not world-wide, and (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) Macroevolution, yes. Microevolution, no. (which is why switching away from Ciprox is a good idea, hold it in reserve if we can) (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Is Larry a Creationist? 8^) Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) Ciprox in particular, but antibiotics in general are overused. But my understanding is that "macroevolution" is a straw-man term coined, or at least embraced, by Creationists. All evolution is microevolution except on the geologic scale, and (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Larry a Creationist? 8^) Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) Ack. I mean the surfacing of traits already in the population (and not newly mutation generated) when I said micro... and the longterm generation/selection of new traits (and speciation) when I said macro. Sorry if that was imprecise. I ain't (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Larry a Creationist? 8^) Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) Just to clarify. Microevolution is a change in allele frequences of pre-existing variants within a population, whereas mutation is the ultimate source of that variation. Onto Dave's point about the macroevolution being a strawman. I'm pretty (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Larry a Creationist? 8^) Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) for an update: someone sent a digital watch (or alarm clock) through the mail and it started beeping for some reason. In other words: bomb scare. -chris (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)