 Off-Topic / Debate / 14391
Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta loveOracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:05:05 GMT

Horst Lehner wrote:

However, these arguments ignore some important factors.

The arguments aren't even concerned with factors.  There is a simple and plain
correlation between lawful gun ownership and decreased violent crime.  The
numbers are there.  Why this is true is not well understood and something
about which we can conjecture.  But it really just _is_ that way.

... within the US, because there is always a place nearby where it is easy
to get arms.

Yes - easier to illegally get arms.  I could get an illegal gun MUCH easier than a
legal gun, yet I choose to wait and get one following the ridiculous laws of this
state.

How does the ease of illegal acquisition for criminals affect the fact that
increased lawful gun ownership decreases violent crime?  Doesn't seem to from what I
can see - in fact, it would be a safer assumption that increased illegal acquisition
would increase violent crime regardless of lawful gun ownership.

So, even if you assume the number of
badies and their illegal actions remains constant, their impact will
increase.

I don't assume it will remain constant.  It will drop.  It has done so in each
and every venue studied.  There are notable accounts of sociologists setting
out to prove how bad certain gun-freeing legislation has been terrible for a
community, who are turned by the data into gun advocates.  If you are open to
the truth, it is your only option.

Again, I suspect this can only be true if the legislation makes it harder
for the "good" people to get armed than it does for the badies. Which
generally is true when we are talking individual legislation of US states or
even smaller units.

Generally true?  How could legislation make it easier for "good" people to get guns
compared to criminals, unless that legislation wiped out all previous restrictions?
That's the only law I could see that would make it easier for lawful possession as
opposed to illegal possession.