 Off-Topic / Debate / 14392
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:24:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Ross Crawford wrote:

This is an interesting point. It is a generaisation, but in the UK low
income families tend to have more kids than higher earners. Many couples
(married or otherwsie) decide to have only one or no kids at all. If we
assume (again a generisation) that low income familes have lower levels of
intelligence (measured by lower levels of educational attainment) is our
gene pool geing skewed the wrong way?

Is there a "wrong way"?

I would think that most people with at least middling intelligence would tend
to agree that decreasing the overall intelligence level of our species is
the "wrong way".

Do you have a reason to think that decreasing our species intelligence is the
right way to go?

  Though admittedly a generalization, this trend in intelligence:breeding
rate is based on an evolutionarily insignificant stretch of time.  Further,
even in the hypothetical example, the judging of intelligence based on
academic achievement seems a tenuous yardstick at best and may have little
or nothing to do with "actual" intelligence.
  I also know that you're making a rhetorical generalization, but there's
obviously no way to know what effect a few (or even a few dozen) generations
in a small population will have on the overall course of human genetics.
It's an interesting example, however; in one swoop it evokes both Wells and
Marx, not to mention Huxley and all the rest.
  But to answer your question, it seems a better evolutionary strategy in
the long run to increase, rather than decrease, species intelligence.  But
who knows?  Maybe somewhere down the line there'll be a virus that only
attacks people of a certain level of intelligence.  I picture an amusement
park sign:  You Must Be At Least As Dumb As This Sign To Survive The Plague...

     Dave!