 Off-Topic / Debate / 14318
Re: A modest proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:45:25 GMT

I'll forego replying to ANY post of Scott's, relevant or not, if everyone
else does too...

Pencil out the "relevant or not" and change "ANY" to "any irrelevant", and
it's a done deal. From my perspective. But just because you abused your
privalages doesn't mean we should all suffer for it. The only reason I don't
think everyone should be prevented from replying to ANYTHING is because we
aren't repeat offenders. I've had 2 o-t-debate dialogues with Scott in as
many years, present situation included. You seem to have one every month or
two. I think you need the discipline more than us.

Who judges relevancy? Scott thinks every one of his posts is relevant,
presumably. No, this is a better proposal because it removes human error.

The reader, obviously. I don't think you think "what, no answer?" is a
particularly relevant post.

I'm pretty good at ignoring those, actually. YCLIU.

Did you ever think that getting an answer from you was not the only aim?

Unless you're saying you can't judge relevancy
for yourself. I think you can, but you choose not to. Maybe I'm wrong? And
since your proposal seems not to include Scott ANYWAY, why does it matter
what Scott thinks of his own posts? Unless you meant to say in your proposal
that Scott be part of the 'everyone else' and must not reply to his own
posts or else the deal's off.

No, I think the pressure should be on you. You're the biggest offender of
replying to Scott's useless messages. The rest of us seem to do reasonably
well.

Define "reasonably well". How is 7-10%? That's my current track record (in a
small enough moving average). I think ignoring 90-93% of irrelevance is a
pretty good approximation of "reasonably well".

Better yet would be some mechanism that stopped the useless messages
altogether but since Scott doesn't see them as useless, nothing short of his
banishment will do that unless you can convince him they are.

Work with me here. I'm seriously trying to come up with something that is
less than a ban and that punishes the offender (which in this case is the
originator of the useless message as well as the replier) for bad behaviour
instead of rewarding the offender for it.

Scott's useless messages are clutter and leaving them be by everyone
silently ignoring them isn't the best solution. Unless he's three and has a
parent likely to fix the problem. Ditto vice versa. And I know my parents
are both dead at this point... My useless messages are also clutter. But
there are significantly less of them.

It is my view that apart from the "what no answer" type posts you only
answer the useless ones – i.e. the ones where you can score a cheap point.
When I do make a point, or when I do show that you have based your arguments
on your own say so, rather than knowledge - that is when you do not answer.
In all honesty, why have you not answered this:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=14203
In the post previous to that you defined "lies". I quoted you twice, and
asked that if using your own system were you a liar? Why did you not answer?
Because my post was “useless” - I think not.

Look at this message:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=14191
In the post previous to that you denied you were rude, and asked me to show
were you were rude. I did. Why did you not answer? Because my post was
“useless” - I think not.

Look at this message:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=14106
I asked a couple of questions based on your post, and yet you did not
answer. Because my post was “useless” - I think not.

I am convinced that if you could, you would have replied with cheap
ignore them - not because they are “useless”.

Scott A

But maybe that's what you meant? You don't trust your own judgement of
what's a relevant debate point?

No, I know what's relevant and what isn't. That's not it. I just can't turn
the other cheek when he gets away with it consistently.

You're one of the only ones with the
problem. All the more reason to force you and only you not to reply to
Scott. If we were all having problems with it, maybe you'd have a point.

No, I think you're missing the point. What is the desired outcome? Less
clutter, of all forms. My replies to Scott's useless messages are a symptom
of the problem as well as a part. But his useless messages are the larger part.

Come up with a scheme that reduces the clutter in the first place, not just
one that rewards the clutterer and punishes everyone else. This (the flip
flop variant, anyway) is the best I can do so far.