 Off-Topic / Debate / 14317
Re: rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:26:44 GMT

It may be an interesting exercise to propose a set that don't focus on
particular people.

Agreed. Although I don't see any way to enforce such rules, I fully agree
that trying to abide by them would make things a bit better.

Rule 1:
- if even ONE person says "this topic belongs in off-topic.debate", in
response to a post elsewhere, that's it. It does. Post there or nowhere. No
discussion whether it does or not to be tolerated anywhere else, and posting
about it anywhere else after that was said would be considered rude. This
cuts down on cross group flamefests.

I like that enough.

I don't. People can (and do) get this wrong. If anyone wants to take an
issue to debate, let them move it there. It’s no big deal. People should be
able to reply to any message in any *appropriate* group.

Rule 2:
- once you've said something, no repeating that exact thing, word for word,
even if it wasn't responded to, as a follow on post to the same post or
posts "close to it" in the tree. This cuts down on low value add pummelling.

Agree. "Close to it" being hard to define, but in general, yes.

Rule 3:
- Once someone says "I've given my answer to your question" you can say
"well that's not a satisfactory answer".... ONCE. That's it.  It's OK to
dissect the answer if you like, to post additional material about the topic,
refuting the answer if you like, but no more "well??" posts. This cuts down
on low value add pummelling.

That's fine, provided Rule 2. Again, agree.

For rules 2 & 3. I think there are some questions which people should be
compelled to answered. Especially when they relate to spurious accusations.
If nothing else, it is a matter of politeness.

Anyone think that these aren't worthwhile?

Nope. I'll add though.

Rule 4:
No name calling. No insults. Etc. Things like "<sigh>" and "You really DON'T
get it, do you?" or "you're just being stubborn", etc. don't contribute to a
debate point. If anything, they're more likely to get a hostile repsonse,
and further lodge your opponent against you.

I agree with your intent.

Rule 5:
Don't take these debates too seriously. Having your viewpoint under attack
is not to have your being under attack. And if you can't find the words to
express your viewpoint, and you're not convinced otherwise, so be it. You're
not necessarily incorrect. And you also deserve not to be told so.

Aside: I had quite the discussion on these two points with the Hatter via
email some time ago. It was part of the weapon he'd use. By getting a victim
to react emotionally, they'd secure themselves more in their position,
without giving any thought to it. People would naturally just assume that he
was wrong because they wanted him to be.

This is a good point. MM methods were pretty bad, but he did make some
pretty good points - like it or not!

Scott A

When you're in a fight, it's pretty
hard to say "I agree, but...", and easier to say "You're wrong!"

What I found to be interesting was the reverse-- the more unsure and
level-headed you present your argument, the more likely you are to get your
opponent to reconsider. And the more likely you'll have a calm, useful
discussion. Unless you're actually after a flame fest. If you want to
experience the sweet taste of victory, you can't get it this way. And
likewise you can deprive someone of it by ignoring the emotional and
stubborn side of your argument.

DaveE