 Off-Topic / Debate / 14187
Re: Ok, show me where I have lied? Or apologise.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:44:17 GMT

An organization coule be essentially a "white man's club" and still have a
token black lady as a member.  Surely you recognize that.

No.

Had Scott said "the LP is disproportionately skewed demographically to males
and caucasians" that would be one thing. It's even something I've said
myself in the past, along with other observations about makeup.

But to say it is a "White Man's Club" carries several connotations:

- that it is a club. It is not a club, it is a political party.
- that it restricts membership based on gender or ethnicity
- that this somehow matters as to the correctness or validity of the ideas
themselves or how people should view them

This term was chosen for pejorative effect. In other words, it's a lie. He
could have said what he meant to say using non pejorative words, but he
chose to slur and smear instead.

When he was called on it, he then went down the "Larry counts noses
regularly" with the "isn't that sick" implication path. That's another
choice of wording chosen for pejorative effect. In other words, it's another
lie.

Scott "worries about me" with again, the implication that there is something
to worry about. Another lie.

Scott lies this way pretty regularly. It may not be always easy to spot but
it's there.

I will not apologise for calling him on it.
I will not apologise for pointing this out with this particular example (and
not with every other example I could find).
I will however apologise that it has come to this point.

++Lar