 Off-Topic / Debate / 13791
Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:12:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

Point missed. What I just say is this: Human interaction is complex, and it
has been sufficiently proven that complex systems don't react to a single
stimulus with a single, easily predictable response. In other words,
simplistic approaches like the one Larry and you presented on the guns issue
are invalid. I think, they are more motivated more by belief than by reason.

I think you're better off examining statistics rather than analysing
reasons, as there are just too many blind alleys to go down if you try the
latter(1). But if you examine statistics that are applicable, homeowner gun
ownership reduces crime, and concealed carry reduces it further. At least
that's been my analysis.

1 - take your gas station example. How much of that is cultural? You can't
say, you're comparing apples to oranges, Germany and the US differ too much.
Compare gas station robberies between essentially similar US states that
differ only w.r.t. weapons laws and I suspect you'll find different results.

++Lar