 Off-Topic / Debate / 13792
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:16:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

The majority voting to deny even one single person rights,
while democratic, is unjust.

But who, then, decides what those rights should be. You? Me? Thinking over
it, I would prefer the second ;-)

There is no perfect scheme but I prefer some process (undefined? what our
founding fathers did? something else?) to ratify some basic set of rights
and then sticking to those rather than allowing 51% majorities to override
them on whim. If different societies do this, but all allow free movement,
over time we will know which set is better by who wants to live where.