 Off-Topic / Debate / 13790
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:09:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

In general, don't you think that a regulation is warranted
when it significantly lowers the risk for innocent people to get their
rights violated by others who inappropriately abuse their rights?

I can say yes to that question, because in general I am satisfied that
regulations do not significantly lower risk, but rather, increase it. Hence
the conditions for regulation don't exist.

If there isn't a regulation, it cannot be broken - that is obvious. So there
is no RISK it will be broken! Ergo, your assumption is correct - but adds
nothing new to the debate... ;-)

But that's not what I meant. I was talking about the risk that fundamental
rights will be violated, like when someone gets killed.

Laws, not regulations, ameliorate fundamental rights violations.

If someone gets killed and an automobile is involved, there are some
possibilities

The auto was used as a weapon - this is murder and the law against murder is
the thing to invoke, not the regulation about how to park safely.

The death was not intentional, but was due to negligence of some sort - This
is a matter of civil litigation and is covered by tort law, not the
regulations on what tire pressure should be stamped on the side of the tire

The death was purely accidental - this is a matter for insurance coverage,
not regulation.

And I do believe
that driver's licenses, while they certainly cannot eliminate the risk,
still do a good job of lowering it.

And I have presented a counter example that shows it does no such thing, at
least in some cases.

++Lar