 Off-Topic / Debate / 13771
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:16:55 GMT

In general, don't you think that a regulation is warranted
when it significantly lowers the risk for innocent people to get their
rights violated by others who inappropriately abuse their rights?

I can say yes to that question, because in general I am satisfied that
regulations do not significantly lower risk, but rather, increase it. Hence
the conditions for regulation don't exist.

If there isn't a regulation, it cannot be broken - that is obvious. So there
is no RISK it will be broken! Ergo, your assumption is correct - but adds
nothing new to the debate... ;-)

But that's not what I meant. I was talking about the risk that fundamental
rights will be violated, like when someone gets killed. And I do believe
that driver's licenses, while they certainly cannot eliminate the risk,
still do a good job of lowering it.