 Off-Topic / Debate / 13770
Re: Something slightly lighter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 05:49:52 GMT

Evil Bert?(1)

Quoting:

"Sesame Street has always stood for mutual respect and understanding," a
spokeswoman said. "We’re outraged that our characters would be used in this
unfortunate and distasteful manner. This is not at all humorous.The people
responsible for this should be ashamed of themselves. We are exploring all
legal options to stop this abuse and any similar abuses in the future."

I just want to know, are they talking about the sites putting up the pics or
are they planning to sue bin Laden supporters for copyright violations? I
smell class action lawsuit! Sic the lawyers on him.

   That's...wow.  I'm not sure if that's funny or not.  I mean, the
   entire situation is bizarre, but I find it absolutely uproarious
   that in this exultation of an avowed enemy of the American way of
   life, one of *the* cultural icons of Western merchandising is thusly
   represented.  In a way, it's a magnificent piece of subterfuge,
   and a subtle hint that there's still hope for the world--not even
   in his home environment can he escape the touch of America.

   I mean, the only way it could have been any more classic would
   have been if bin Laden were holding a Mickey D's bag and sipping
   on a Super Big Gulp on the poster.  Hmmm...I wonder if I've got
   enough time to fire up the ol' Photoshop.  Propaganda, after all,
   is an excellent and effective way to contribute.  :D  We've got
   to use our heavy superiority in surface-to-web tactical computer
   nerds to secure victory!

1 - can't be. The guy liked penguins WAY before Linux was cool.

   Pigeons.  Pigeons.  Big difference; pigeons dump on your head,
   penguins...well, you'd have to be laying DOWN or swimming below
   'em.  And penguins don't flock in Trafalgar Square, not that *that*
   wouldn't be an interesting sight in itself.

   I wonder if we need to start a LUGNET Photoshop Challenge?  [1]

   best

   LFB

   [1] In short, that's when someone posts, somewhere, a raw photo;
       people doctor the photo in various ways for humorous, yet
       *clean* (important!), effect; and then everyone gets to go look
       and duly laugh.  Some of the best post-9/11 laughs I've had,
       in fact, have been Photoshop Challenge ones.