 Off-Topic / Debate / 13702
Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 04:15:52 GMT

And what about *inside* them? Are these three nations that homogeneous?

No, they are not.  There is NO way that you can compare downtown Toronto with
Elliot Lake (or Pickle Lake).  I've lived in the biggest Canadian city, and in
much smaller communities.  I would say that the murder rate per populace _by
gun_ was higher in small northern cities than in larger southern cities(?  the
horseshoe) .  It might have been one every 2 years, but in a city of ~10 000
vice a city of ~2 355 000+ with a murder rate of ~60/year (hmm-I really need
the actual statistics for say a 5 year period...)

http://www.statcan.ca/english/Pgdb/State/Justice/legal09.htm

Is about the best I can do easily...

http://falcon.usask.ca/pub/cdn-firearms/Digests/v01n900-999/v01n928.txt
Homicide rates continue to climb in the western provinces, with
Manitoba recording the highest rate for 1996, followed by B.C. and
Saskatchewan.

Of cities, Winnipeg had the highest rate per 100,000 population, with
28 murders, a rate of 4.12, figures released yesterday show.

Vancouver's 56 murders (down from 64 in 1995) meant a rate of 2.97 per
100,000 -- higher than the national rate of 2.11.

- Guns were used in 30 per cent of murders; 31 per cent of victims
were stabbed; 22 per cent were beaten to death.

- Four in 10 female victims were killed by ex-boyfriends or spouses;
80 people, 62 of them women, were killed by a spouse or ex-spouse.

- In nearly nine out of 10 cases, the victim was known to the killer.
Only 14 per cent of all murders were committed by strangers.

- In 1996, 53 children under 12 were killed. Of those, 75 per cent
were killed by family members; 18 were less than a year old.

- The number of murders committed by youths remained stable. In 1996,
51 youths were charged with murder (eight per cent of all homicide
charges, a drop of one percentage point from 1995).

source:
http://www.vancouverprovince.com/newsite/news/970731/1026295.html

So, I would take a fairly good chance that I would
A) face a knife in a mugging in Canada (given the low number of stranger
deaths)
B) Be rather more likely to die in Winnipeg than here in Victoria.  Even though
Winnipeg is part of the west, where the tradition of firearms ownership is
deepest in Canada.

Sorry, I can't spend forever digging for statistics :)

James P