 Off-Topic / Debate / 13706
Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 06:19:37 GMT

James Powell wrote:

And what about *inside* them? Are these three nations that homogeneous?

No, they are not.  There is NO way that you can compare downtown Toronto with
<snippage of a bunch of statistics>

- Guns were used in 30 per cent of murders; 31 per cent of victims
were stabbed; 22 per cent were beaten to death.

- In nearly nine out of 10 cases, the victim was known to the killer.
Only 14 per cent of all murders were committed by strangers.

So, I would take a fairly good chance that I would
A) face a knife in a mugging in Canada (given the low number of stranger
deaths)

Um, NO.  That doesn't follow.  Not unless every mugger in Canada kills their victim
every time (if that happened, you'd have a lot more citizens killing muggers, with
illegal guns if necessary).

The statistics you quoted have to do with deaths, which have almost nothing to do
with muggings, *especially* since, as you noted, there was a low number of stranger
deaths.

Sorry, I can't spend forever digging for statistics :)

You'll have to dig more if you want to support your mugger scenario.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/