 Off-Topic / Debate / 13703
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:38:12 GMT

Hello Larry,

it seems you have discussed this earlier than I jumped in. From some earlier
posting from you on air safety I assume that you advocate the free market
for any type of product, even security.

No regulation ever solves any problem 100% completely. But don't you think
there would be a lot MORE unsafe drivers on the road WITHOUT the requirement
for a license?

If that was the only change, yes. But I'm not advocating that one change
alone, so no.

So, if I get you right, you would want to do away with the requirement of a
license to drive, but at the same time privatize roads and hold road
companies liable for any damage to users of the road. Consequently, road
companies would ensure a sensible level of security on their roads, in order
to maximize their profit. Correct?

In general, don't you think that a regulation is warranted
when it significantly lowers the risk for innocent people to get their
rights violated by others who inappropriately abuse their rights?

I can say yes to that question, because in general I am satisfied that
regulations do not significantly lower risk, but rather, increase it. Hence
the conditions for regulation don't exist.

In the context of arms, wouldn't that mean that you have to hold
manufacturers of arms liable for any damage their arms do to anyone?

Generally, don't you think that some sensible level of safety is one of the
very basic human rights? And if so, don't you think that only the rich will
get it through free market mechanisms? And if so, how can you justify that?

Greetings

Horst