 Off-Topic / Debate / 13604
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:59:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

But you missed my point. The State grants the license, but the use the
driver makes of it is his responsability.

So if it is ultimately the driver's responsibility, what good then is the
license or the act of issuing it?

First, it proves the driver knows how to drive; second, it issues HIM the
responsability for his actions behind the wheel, and noone else.
It acts more to third parties' safety/insurance than the driver himself.

His own *sense* must dictate
whether he is or not fit to drive. If not his sense, his body. If neither,
the family (hopefully). Or else we will have a potential problem - which is
less likely to occurr than drunk driving (another issue of sense and
responsability).

There is no difference in kind among these. Both are abrogations of
responsibility.

Synonym, PLEASE!  :-)
And how can they have no difference in kind?

I believe you are caught in a contradiction, you have conceded that the
licensing act does nothing to improve safety

Well, it won't stop an accident, if that's what you mean.

and that it is a personal
responsibility issue

Of course. The license *shows the world* one is technically fit to drive. If
he drives or not with the license, that is up to him.
But without the license, *I* am not sure the person behind the wheel knows
the Road Laws (dunno about equivalence abroad). And that is something I want
to be assured of, both as a driver and non-driver.

and that licenses therefore are useless

No way! Useless, no. There is a question of proof... see above.

yet you still
cling to the state and its false protective cloak.

Yeah, right. The State is evil, and all that.
I happen to like the State protective cloak. MY State. It has never failed
me beyond my will to forgive.
And you know why? Because it issues rules, licences, and all that sort of
stuff. Sure, it is a hassle to take all that time in queues, but it pays off
when I know who to blame, and for what.

Take this example: a driver runs over my kid intentionally (hopefully not!).
I will:
a) shoot him dead (American way?);
b) have him arrested, tried for murder, imprisoned for 25 years and then
released WITHOUT Driver's License, so that he won't kill some other person
the same way 25 years later?
c) He has no license, so no insurance, so no way to compensate (!) me in any
way... Forced Labour for him, besides imprisonment?
Now the licensing thing seems reasonable? (even though the example is extreme)

Pedro