 Off-Topic / Debate / 13594
13593  |  13595
Subject:
Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta love Oracle...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:34:46 GMT

Hello Chris,

And those have to do (I believe) with children who are
institutionally abused, more than with firearms.  The firearm was a only
tool...a means of expression.

But wouldn't things be better when other means of expression are easier to
get than arms? Or, still better than nothing, vice versa, when arms are
harder to get? Of course, I don't want to advocate to NOT also tackle the
root problem, should your analysis be correct ...

Either the presense of guns causes violence or it does not.
(I'll give you a hint -- it doesn't seem to in the US.)

How can you be so sure? A minute ago you at least admitted that the ready
availability of arms gives overly passionate people more chance to live
their conflicts violently. Isn't that, in a sense, violence being created by
the presence of guns?

Even worse, when people get used to the presence of guns from their
childhood, isn't it possible that they get the feeling it is OK to also use
them sometimes? And that, ultimately, they use them for BAD things? After
all, everyone of us has his little devil inside, more or less controlled in
most cases, but ...

Also, I heard a lot of arguments so far about how the presence of guns
increases security, because the badies don't know who is armed and who is
not. However, these arguments ignore some important factors. In preparation
of whatever they intend to do, the badies will easily be able to arm
themselves beyond what they reasonably have to expect among their victims.
Also, they will be bit quicker shooting their victims whenever they suspect
one of them is reaching for a gun. So, even if you assume the number of
badies and their illegal actions remains constant, their impact will
increase.

If any of the last two paragraphs holds some truth, the result would
certainly qualify as violence caused by the presence of guns.

Greetings

Horst