 Off-Topic / Debate / 13524
  Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

Live on CNN of course lawrence (23 years ago, 7-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

I have mixed feelings about this, in one way think they deserve it, but in another way I feel for the families in Kabul, even though they are strikning Taleban targets(ie military) The civilians don't that, they must be EXTREMELY scared. My 0.02 (...) (23 years ago, 7-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

(...) Well, here's to hoping it remains an attack against the Taliban and that we'll do the right thing when we're done. At least the immediate plans include a massive perfusion of aid to refugees, so that's a start. Chris (23 years ago, 7-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

(...) Indeed. I realise that I was insufficiently precise when I said I oppose bombing by the US, what I should have said was "bombing by itself". BTW the Taliban has responded. CNN is a bit slow right now so you may want to try to find this AP (...) (23 years ago, 7-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

(...) That 'live on CNN of course' seems like a barbed comment. If I'm wrong please forgive my assumption but are you saying 'typically we're hearing it from a large American corporation' to which I would say that it was equally live on BBC News 24 (...) (23 years ago, 7-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

(...) They did offer to work with us more if we showed the some evidence - a smart move on their part. We refused. It should have went to the UN. Instead we have ignored international law (as I understand it) and bombed them. Let's all hope the (...) (23 years ago, 8-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

Actually, I think he may have been somewhat sarcastic, as CNN has been doing live coverage since Sep. 11th. But that's just what I got from his post. (...) (23 years ago, 8-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

(...) I thought this was good too. But then I read this last night: (URL) Day, chief executive of Care International, said yesterday: "Air drops make great TV but they often represent a failure to respond to a food crisis." Barbara Stocking, (...) (23 years ago, 9-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

(...) Ask a few Berliners about the effectiveness of aerial delivery of relief supplies... If you read anything at all about the air drops, you would find two things: 1. They are not expected to be the sole delivery mechanism 2. They are targetted (...) (23 years ago, 9-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Looks like the attacks on Kabul have started

(...) Are you saying we should listen to Berliners rather than the aid agencies? (...) The aid is dropped from "high altitude", we'll be lucky if we hit the correct mountain. Before 11th, 5000 tonnes of aid was getting to the Afghans per day. 5000 (...) (23 years ago, 9-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)