 Off-Topic / Debate / 13402
  Byzantine Brokering by Byzantium

(...) Not so much the Turks but the Ottomans under Mehmet II (the Conqueror). Theirs was the real administrative revolution that made the final conquest of Byzantium by the Turks possible. IMHO, anyways, given that the Anatolian hinterland had been (...) (23 years ago, 4-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Byzantine Brokering by Byzantium

(...) So take me back to Constantinople No you can't go back to Constantinople Been a long time gone, Constantinople Why did Constantinople get the works? That's nobody's business but the Turks. I seem to recall my mother singing that silly song in (...) (23 years ago, 4-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Byzantine Brokering by Byzantium

(...) Neat. I wonder what play it was to use They Might Be Giants songs... Istanbul was Constantinople Now it's Istanbul not Constantinople So if you've a date in Constantinople She'll be waiting in Istanbul. (I'll confess just about my favorite (...) (23 years ago, 4-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Byzantine Brokering by Byzantium

(...) Actually the song is much older than They Might Be Giants. I can't seem to find the original credits at the moment. I'll try to find something later on. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 4-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Byzantine Brokering by Byzantium

(...) Original credit given as "written by J. Kennedy and N. Simon, published by Chappell & Co. ASCAP"...that from the liner notes of "Severe Tire Damage" (couldn't find my copy of "Flood" anywhere)...dated 1953 according to (URL) (23 years ago, 4-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)